MTA is pleased to open the application process for the 2017-2018 MTA Rethinking Leadership program. This leadership program supports our union’s ALL IN campaign which seeks an unprecedented level of member engagement across our locals so we can win on the issues important to our members. Through dialogue rooted in participants’ experience, the Rethinking Leadership program will explore bottom-up, participatory leadership strategies to foster an active and engaged membership and to build local power. It will address the fundamentals of outreach, recruitment, strategy development, decision-making, and planning for direct-action.
This program will focus on the following themes:
· Understanding the balance of power and assessing local capacity
· Bringing people together around commonly felt problems
· Designing and carrying out action plans to solve problems
Mary Foyle, President of the Lunenburg Education Association, shared this about her experience in the program at Summer Conference:
We welcome applications from members who meet these criteria:
· Active service members currently employed
· Have served in a union leadership role (e.g. officer, executive board member, building representative) for two or more years*
· Curious, purposeful, willing to share what you know, and learn from others
· Motivated by an impulse to help build strong, capable, active local associations
*If you are interested in creating bottom-up activism in your local, but you do not meet the “time in leadership” criteria above, please consider attending MTA’s Next Generation Leadership program. More information is available here.
Training Sessions Available:
· MTA Headquarters in Quincy | Saturday, December 9 from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm and Sunday, December 10 from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
· Educational Association of Worcester Office | Thursday, February 22 from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm and Friday, February 23 from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (February break offering)
· MTA Raynham Office | Thursday, April 19 from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm and Friday, April 20 from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (April break offering)
· MTA Holyoke Office | Saturday, May 12 from 9:00 am –6:00 pm and Sunday, May 13 from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
The program requires commitment for the entire session you choose. Hotel accommodations will be provided if needed.