Save Our Schools Coalition March For Public Education & Social Justice
It is Time to March Again!!!
On July 30, 2011, many thousands of us gathered in Washington, DC for the historic Save Our Schools March and National Call to Action. We came from across the country to voice our grievances about the state of public education and to share our visions for the future. We stood in solidarity to denounce an unresponsive political process and its dehumanizing policies. We returned to our cities, communities, organizations and unions committed to the goal of building an equitable, democratic education system for our students, their communities, their schools and educators. We have not rested since in our collective struggle for humane public schools and policies across the nation.
Today, we have a burgeoning coalition of grassroots groups, union organizations, and activists who will rally and march in support of education and social justice. We are marching for community-based, equitably-funded schools that are the heart of neighborhoods.
We stand and march for:
· Full, equitable funding for all public schools
· Safe, racially just schools and communities
· Community leadership in public school policies
· Professional, diverse educators for all students
· No high-stakes standardized testing
The Save Our Schools Coalition for Actionenvisions a mass gathering of like-minded people – from all walks of life and with diverse causes – speaking and marching in solidarity once more. We envision bold actions and expressions of resistance for children and adults alike, which foster awareness and camaraderie in the movement. Join us in Washington D.C. on July 8-10thto celebrate democracy by living it. The general schedule for the event is:
· July 8th: Rally & March (location will be announced soon)
· July 9th: National & International Summit with family and kid-friendly events
· July 10th: Coalition Congress – member organizations meet to plan next steps for the movement
An action this big requires much collaboration and support, and the Coalition has many involvement opportunities for individuals and organizations alike. Consider helping in the following ways:
1. Endorse the principles and the 2016 event
2. Provide active publicity about the 2016 event to your organizations and listserves
3. Organize in your area and assist people in attending the event
4. Provide financial support for the 2016 event and/or scholarships to deserving attendees
5. Collaborate and actively engage in the planning of the 2016 event by joining the Coalition for Action Steering Committee or one of its planning sub-committees. For more information on how to help and participate in the Coalition event, contact Bob George at (708) 692-5818.
This is an election year, and surely there can be no better time to show our government and our fellow citizens, “This is what democracy looks like!” We look forward to marching with you this summer in D.C.!